Easy substitutes that save you money as well as being healthier.
- For tacos try TVP (textured vegetable protein) or chickpeas
- Switch eggs to ripe mashed banana or applesauce for baked goods
- In place of lettuce use kale and/or spinach (did you know kale and spinach have more vitamins and protein per calorie than does beef!)
- If you’re not ready to take the plunge for drinking non-dairy milk try starting with it on cereal and in cooking (it comes in small containers and has a long shelf life)
- Switch chicken broth to vegetable broth
- For a healthier pasta dish swap regular pasta for spaghetti squash – Gluten free and super yummy
- Swap a beef burger or a steak for an extra large portobello mushroom cap
- Skip the oil/butter/cooking spray on your pans. In the oven, you can use parchment paper, on the stove toss a few mushrooms or vegetable stock in the pan instead.
- Add beans and/or quinoa as a side dish to really boost that protein intake
Do you have any suggestions for making meals healthier? Please share them with me in the comments!